Her Guardian Angel (Part 1)


There comes a time in every child’s life, usually around the three-year mark, where their guardian angel descends to Earth to take their place in that child’s life. They’re there to protect them and guide them through life’s obstacles. I’m not one of those angels, the opposite actually but I had a run in with one of these obnoxious bastards and I’m here to tell that story. Meredith was her name. Your typical angel; tall, thin, long blonde hair, the flowing white robe, bigass feathered wings, the whole deal. Not to mention her fuckin annoying “the Lord has a plan” attitude. Anyway, she was assigned to Caroline Herbert. Cute kid. Kind of short for her age, light brown hair down to her jawline, big brown eyes and a tiny nose covered in freckles. It was her third birthday when Meredith entered her life and from then on she was always somewhere near, standing on the side lines, watching mostly. With a stupid fuckin smile permanently plastered on her face. I didn’t meet Meredith until Caroline was seven. They were outside the house; average house on an average street, little front lawn and low fence. The kid had drawn a hop scotch on the pavement in pink chalk and was hopping up and down it while Meredith stood a few feet away, hands clasped in front of her. Caroline stopped her game and looked to see if anyone was around, when she thought the coast was clear she anxiously approach her angel. “Meredith.” Her voice was a shaky and almost a whisper. “Yes, child.”

“Can you stop, Daddy?”

“My dear Caroline. We’ve spoken of this many times before. You will be fine. All will be fine.”

“But I don’t like it. It feels bad. Please. Make him stop.”

“Enough child. You will be fine. Now, go along and continue your game.” The kid looked up, tears in her eyes, like she wanted to say more but didn’t and turned back to the chalked squares and began hopping again. Little did Caroline, or the angel for that matter, realize was that they weren’t completely alone. A tall, handsome, dark haired guy just happened to be wondering through the alley near the house, looking for his next bit of fun when he heard the conversation and paused, listening until the end. If you haven’t guessed, that gorgeous bastard was me. I watched them for a while longer until night started to fall and the front door opened. “Caroline, honey, time for dinner.”

“Coming, Daddy.” She looked reluctant as she dawdled inside followed by the angel. I skulked back into the shadows and would have been on my merry way but something was nagging at me and I knew it wouldn’t stop nagging if I just wondered off to find the next woman who couldn’t resist my charm. So I waited, watching the house.

                I found her standing on the roof, looking up at the stars with her robe fluttering in the cool breeze. “Why won’t you help the kid?” I’d startled her, which gave me a little satisfaction. “Who are you?”

“Doesn’t matter. Why won’t you help her?”

“The Lord …”

“Spare me the bullshit. You know what he does to her. Hell, I do and I haven’t even seen it. I could tell from what she said, that look in her eyes when he called her in. I bet you’ve even been in the room when he’s done it haven’t you?”

“Of course. I rarely leave the child’s side.”

“So why don’t you stop him? You’ve got the power to.”

“The Lord has his plan for us all, including humans. She will be fine.”

“Ye that’s what you told her but it’s a load of crap. You could finish it in a second but instead you sit by and let him betray her trust like that.”

“A demon isn’t one to talk of trust. Or question an angel for that matter. Now be gone.” That was when I snapped. I dragged that bitch off the roof and far into the field behind the house where hopefully Caroline wouldn’t hear Meredith’s screams as I carved out her eyes and ripped off her wings. Broke every bone in her holy fuckin body as she begged me to stop. That’s the thing about angels, humans can’t do shit to them but anything supernatural can kick their asses if they dare, trouble is nothing dares in case you know who dishes out some wrath. I cut that lying, bullshitting tongue out of her mouth. Caved her head in with my boot. Man, did it feel good. She finally died. A squelchy, red mess and a bit of white rag in the long grass. I looked down at my shirt. Shit. I’d liked that shirt, now it was all bloody. There was no way that was coming out.

The sun rose on a new day and I watched Caroline walk to school, looking around every now and then for Meredith. I don’t know how she felt, maybe she was scared or sad or just confused that her angel was nowhere to be seen but she seemed to get on with her lessons just fine then wondered home again at 3:30. By 3:45 she was changed out of her uniform and back on the pavement to her hop scotch with the 5 written backwards. I ventured out the alley and leant against the wall, watching her for a moment. “Hey, Kid.” She stopped; one yellow boot firmly on the ground, the other held a few inches in the air. “Hi.” She smiled. “You know you’re not supposed to talk to strangers?” She shrugged. “Lots of people do things they’re not supposed to.”

“Yeah, tell me about it.”

“What?” She asked from where she had bent down at the edge of the curb. “Nothing.”

“I’m Caroline. What’s your name?”

“I don’t have one.”

“You don’t have a name?!”

“No. Why don’t you give me one?” She seemed to like the idea and stood in front of me studying my face then looking me up and down. “Adam. You’re an Adam, I think.”

“Alright. Nice to meet you Caroline. I’m Adam.” I offered my hand and she shook it enthusiastically. “You want this rock? I found it down there.”

“Sure.” She dropped it into my hand. It was a light grey oval, roughly an inch long with a black vein snaking its way down the middle and still warm for her grasp. “Thanks.”

“You’re welcome.”

“I’ve gotta go but I’ll see you round, ok?”

“Ok. Bye, Adam.”

“See ya, Kid.” I didn’t particularly want to leave but I have things to prepare.

                That night, Caroline lay in bed with the covers pulled up to her neck and a pink lamp throwing a gentle glow around her bedroom. Her eyes widened when the door opened. “Hi, Honey. Daddy can’t sleep.” Bet he felt real good as he approached that little girl. That is until I stepped in front of him. He hadn’t noticed me hanging around outside or climbing through the window in the next room. The slimy grin fell from his bloated face. “Who the fuck are you?”

“I’m Caroline’s new guardian.”

“What? Where’s Meredith?”

“Meredith has … been made redundant.” He looked confused. “So, you’re her replacement?”

“Oh no, Mate.”  I grabbed the collar of his sweaty shirt and yanked him close to my face. “I’m no fuckin angel.” I suddenly remembered the one-person audience fixated on us and looked over my shoulder. “Kid, cover your eyes.” Without a word of question, Caroline let her eyelids flutter closed. Her Father’s voice rose into a high pitched, infuriated yell. “Don’t you do as he says, Caroline. Don’t you dare.” Almost as an act of defiance she placed her hands over her closed eyes and I turned back to him. “Remember I said I’m no angel? Well, let me show you what I am.” I covered his mouth as he let out a terrified scream. His eyes wide with fear, his body shaking, his pleas were muffled behind my hand and I liked it.
Copyright Anna Smith 2020

Comments

Popular Posts